Monday, August 04, 2008

International AIDS Conference


Instruction to read this post:
READ FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE POST!
Confusions caused by reading disorderly is not my responsibility!

Finally, I got the chance to go sightseeing. It was raining, though... but it didn't stop me from going, or taking pictures.

Mara was speaking at the session of "HIV and Mobility". She's great and I love her. She's a smart and easy going person. She's also a really good friend. I wish all the best for her always...

Speaking at the UNAIDS session on "HIV-related Travel Restrictions". I worked hard for my talking points, but at the end, I didn't even looked at my talking points and just say whatever I had in mind. I got interviewed by Radio Rumania right after I finished speaking. Sadly, no one from my country came to see me speaking here because they chose to go for a dinner at the Ambassador's house. I missed the dinner because of my commitment in this session. But, then again, I have no regrets! The session went well and I was told it was all over the evening news in all TV channels in Mexico. So, I guess it paid off the dinner in a much better way.

With Kelly [IHCW] and Serra [CHANGE] after speaking about PEPFAR at the Hot Topic Zone. It's good to see Kelly again. She was helping me with the media when I was in New York for the UN HLM.

Speaking about "Redefining AIDS in Asia - Women's Perspective" together with Jayanair. After the session, I was hungry and went to the cafeteria to get something to eat. Then, a man told me that he wants to take a picture of my T-Shirt. I was thinking it was my karma, because I've been taking pictures of people's statement T-Shirts. But then afterwards, he told me that he, and other 3 colleagues of him who sat at the table across mine, are working at Heineken. Bloody hell! Thank God they thought my T-Shirt was creative and innovative.

We went out together for dinner at a small classic diner. It was not very easy to choose what to eat because all the items in the menu were in Spanish and the waiters couldn't speak English. I never knew it would be a struggle to get our orders done. Hahaha...!

Malu and Brahm were speaking at the "Bridging Session" about travel restrictions and migration. The session was great and attended by numbers of people.

So, that massive white tent in the distance is The Global Village. That's where a lot of fun things happening. Sadly, this picture I took from right in front of the Session Room. Can you imagine how far it is? It's pretty far! And in this cool weather, you'd get a frozen lung when you reach the Global Village.

We missed the bus on the second day and just to find out that the shuttle bus has only 2 schedules in the morning: 5.30 AM and 7.15 AM. Bloody crazy committee! What about people who need only to go a bit later??? What's wrong with having the third schedule at 11 AM?

Catching up with friends on the first day of the conference. Also helping out the Asian Region's booth. Did an interview regarding migrants and HIV issues with a French journalist. Other than that, not much to do. The busy day is coming on the second and third day of the conference.




No comments: